Daniel Webster, in the U.S. Senate on January 26, 1830, discussing the limitations of state’s rights and the supremacy of federal law had this to say:
“It is, Sir, the people’s government, made for the people, made by the people, and answerable to the people. The people of the United States have declared that this Constitution shall be the supreme law.”
Early this morning, riot police and even anti-terrorist units from the NYPD forcibly arrested and evicted the Wall Street Occupiers from Liberty Plaza. Billionaire Mayor Bloomberg said they could demonstrate in the park, but no tents. He went on to say they would have to use the strength of their arguments in the future. “The strength of their arguments?”
When millions of Americans, and millions more around the world, stand in solidarity against the oppression of those who govern and rule the financial world, he has the f-ing balls to question the strength of their arguments?
Here are a few thoughts about this gross and blatant denial of our constitutional rights!
- The American Constitution guarantees everyone the right to free speech and to peaceably assemble.
“No law shall be passed abridging the rights of the people
peaceably to assemble …” – New York State Constitution
Where’s President Obama in all of this? We send billions in weapons and aid to assist the popular uprisings in the Middle East, and insist that President Bashar al-Assad of Syria step down for killing thousands of his own citizens and denying them the right to create their own future, but right here in America the same things are happening and he does nothing?
- Where are President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton opposing those who abuse the basic human rights in far-off lands, but do nothing when our rights, protected by the Constitution (which he swore to protect), are being denied.
- Those in power lose their right to govern when they oppress their own people or when they fail to protect them: Mayor Bloomberg, Governor Cuomo, the mayors and police commissioners around the country who are using force to disperse the Occupiers, Congress and finally, President Obama.
- In 1936 President Franklin D. Roosevelt sent in the national guard to protect the workers of General Motors who went on strike and had occupied several plants. He sent the guard in to protect them from the local police who were sent in to evict them and crush the union.
- NYPD sent in the anti-terrorist unit last night to assist with the eviction, when the real terrorists are on Wall Street and in corporate board rooms. After 9/11, the NYPD were heroes to all. What a shame they have turned on their own citizens. Will they say they were just following orders? Will they say the Occupiers were breaking the law?
All of this is happening in other places where ruthless tyrants have been oppressing and killing their own people for years and even centuries. I can’t believe this is happening in the United States of America, the land of the free.
I posted a blog yesterday entitled, “Violence is just a ‘spark’ away.” Bloomberg, President Obama, those in Congress, those on Wall Street, and those anywhere in this country that choose to use the power of the police against their own citizens or to turn a blind eye to what is happening will discover “the strength of their argument” when millions more rise up and force them to listen.
We The People are making the argument, peacefully for now, that this is our country. The closing words of Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address on November 19, 1863 is what Occupy is all about, should anyone doubt.
“We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom; and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”